Check out the official and community resources for advice about designing adventures, engaging players, rewarding characters, and maintaining excitement. Many different skill contribute to being a great DM. Playing D&D as a Dungeon Master lets you find new ways to continually improve your mastery of the art.
Official D&D rule books and sets
D&D 5th edition
- Starter Set for the fifth edition of D&D.
The Starter Set steps you through the most important rules you need to start playing D&D. The Starter Set builds on what you learned in the tutorials. It presents you with an adventure you can run your players that will take them to level 5.
- Dungeon Master’s Guide (DMG) for the fifth edition of D&D.
The DMG provides advice on how to work with players to create a fun game, how to create adventures, how to create campaigns, and more. It also has tips to create non-player characters (NPCs), rules for magic items, and many other aspects of running the world.
D&D 4th edition
- Starter Set for the fourth edition of D&D.
- Dungeon Master’s Kit for the fourth edition of D&D.
- Dungeon Master’s Guide (DMG) for the fourth edition of D&D.
- Wizard’s Amulet by Frog God Games (free PDF).
Videos showing how to play other table-top RPGs
- How to play The Strange by Monte Cook Games (30 min)
- How to play Numenera by Monte Cook Games (30 min)